Several endangered species of bird nest in Upper Newport Bay. Their wetland and upland homes are very delicate and easily damaged.
- Walk, bike or horseback ride only in established trails, paths and other designated areas. Keep dogs and cats inside vehicles, or on leashes of 6ft or less.
- Drive or ride motor vehicles and bikes on designated roads and stop or park in designated areas only.
- Launch and land boats only at designated launch sites at the Newport Dunes or the Newport Aquatic Center at North Star Beach.
- Fish only from a boat, or from the shore at North Star Beach, the rocky outcrop between San Joaquin Hills Rd. and Big Canyon, or at the Jamboree Road bridge. Commercial fishing is not permitted.
- Clam only at North Star Beach and only if area is not closed as a public health measure. The clams are not edible.
- Swim only at North Star Beach.
Please do not:
- Feed the wildlife. Feeding birds and animals makes them dependent on humans and entices them into open areas where they are vulnerable to predators.
- Release any fish or animal, including domestic species, or introduce plants.
- Disturb any form of plant or animal life: birds, nests or eggs, plants, mammals, fish, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians, or reptiles.
- Collect specimens unless you have a special Upper Newport Bay permit from the Fish and Game Commission and a scientific collecting permit.
- Fire or discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, air or gas gun or any other weapon.
- Smoke on trails.
- Camp overnight.
- Walk on the mudflats. You can and will get stuck.
- Land any craft on any island or shore of the Bay.
- Boat, canoe, or kayak in any side channel of the Bay or beyond the posted boating limit.